Professor: Kerry Ravan
Graduate Credits: 3
Course Code: EDTR 5220
Math for Middle School Educators: Instruction Enrichment and Content Review
Professor: Kerry Ravan
This online teacher recertification course is available to students with knowledge of the Middle School Mathematics curriculum as defined by each student’s state and at least an undergraduate degree. This course is designed to provide middle school educators with the opportunity to investigate different resources to enhance their current teaching practices. The selected resources for this course will highlight different pedagogies and techniques which can be used to more effectively teach middle school mathematics. The course will also provide a broad overview of the content knowledge necessary to effectively teach middle school mathematics and will depend heavily on standards and resources developed by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) which provided the underpinnings for the new Common Core State Standards (CCSS). Our five Modules will be divided using the Common Core strands for middle school as our guideline.
Middle School Math teachers will find this course useful in helping them:
- Investigate a variety of problems and examine how they relate to different teaching and learning strategies
- Explore how to build new mathematical knowledge through problem solving
- Learn investigative and project-based learning experiences which lead to discovering mathematical concepts and relationships
- Connect how modeling can link mathematical concepts to other content areas
- Uncover various methods and strategies to make mathematics real and relevant to students
- Investigate technology’s role in the middle school mathematics classroom
- Review the essential mathematical material of middle school mathematics
Math for Middle School Educators: Instruction Enrichment and Content Review is part of the OnlineEducationCourses.org course offerings of self-paced, online science courses intended for teacher recertification. This course awards 3 graduate credit hours.
What students are saying about this class
I honestly was very impressed with this course. It has helped me to really reevaluate my approach to teaching my 7th grade students and gave me great ideas to incorporating more hands-on and real world mathematical lessons.
This is SUCH a wonderful way to take a course! I would definitely recommend and will enroll in other classes as needed! Thank you!
I teach upper elementary students and I learned lots of new ideas that I can’t wait to try with my own students.