Professor: Kerry Ravan
Graduate Credits: 3
Course Code: EDTR 5250
Common Core: High School Math Education
Professor: Kerry Ravan
This online teacher recertification course is designed to provide high school educators with a deeper look at the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics (CCSSM). We will look at the reasons the CCSSM were developed, how these new standards alter the way educators approach student learning, and what changes need to be made to begin implementing the standards in both everyday lessons and in new assessment techniques. The course will depend heavily on standards and resources developed by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), which provided the underpinnings for the CCSSM.
High School teachers will find this course useful in helping them:
- Examine the motivation for creating and the benefits to having a common set of standards across the states
- Identify the eight Standards of Mathematical Practice and how incorporating these standards in the classroom enhances the chance that students will be successful
- Adapt strategies to develop the eight Standards for Mathematical Practice in the classroom
- Develop instructional strategies to encourage mathematical reasoning and a deeper understanding of the conceptual categories outlined by the Common Core State Standards
- Review and adapt assessment techniques to assess both the conceptual categories for understanding and the mathematical practices outlined by the Common Core State Standards
Common Core: High School Math Education is part of the OnlineEducationCourses.org course offerings of self-paced, online science courses intended for teacher recertification. This course awards 3 graduate credit hours.
What students are saying about this class
I really enjoyed this course – the videos and readings were informative and offered a wide variety of perspectives. I also liked the setup and the ability to turn work in at any time, and how quickly things were graded! I would definitely recommend this course.
Loved the format, loved the course choices. Fantastic experience.
This was a fantastic course. I closely examined the CCSS for High School Mathematics, viewed how others interpreted and applied them and developed techniques to implement them in my classroom. Great course, easy to do on my own time.