Professor: Kerry Ravan
Graduate Credits: 3
Course Code: EDTR 5225
Calculus I: Instruction Enrichment & Content Review for Educators
Professor: Kerry Ravan
CALCULUS I: Instruction Enrichment & Content Review for Teachers and Educators
This online teacher recertification course is designed to provide high school educators with the opportunity to investigate different resources to enhance their current teaching practices. The selected resources for this course will highlight different pedagogies and techniques which can be used to more effectively teach Calculus I. The course will also provide a broad overview of the content knowledge necessary to effectively teach Calculus I and will rely heavily on standards and resources developed by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) which provided the underpinnings for the new CCSSM. Being an Advanced Placement (AP) teacher is not a requirement for enrollment in this course. Although this course is not endorsed by the AP College Board, the course will often present material/strategies from an AP standpoint due to the quality of enrichment this can have for any teacher’s college-bound students.
High School teachers will find this course useful in helping them:
- Review the essential mathematical material of Calculus I
- Explore a variety of problems and examine how they relate to different teaching and learning strategies
- Learn investigative and project-based learning experiences which lead to discovering mathematical concepts and relationships
- Investigate technology’s role in the Calculus I classroom
- Explore how to build new mathematical knowledge through problem solving
- Being an Advanced Placement (AP) teacher is not a requirement to be enrolled in this course; the course will often present material/strategies from an AP standpoint due to the quality of enrichment this can have for any teacher’s college-bound students
Calculus I: Instruction Enrichment & Content Review for Educators is part of the OnlineEducationCourses.org course offerings of self-paced, online science courses intended for teacher recertification. This course awards 3 graduate credit hours.
What students are saying about this class
This is a good class. It is set up for teachers to learn. The resources were very applicable and interesting. I would recommend this course to others.
This was a great course which provided some great ideas I can incorporate into my classroom. I feel like I walked away with some new techniques to try out.